Mashed African Yam Fritters
Pleasantly soft in the middle and crispy on the outside, these fritters are a delicious and simple treat for any table.
2 1/4 lbs African Yams (About ½ yam)
1 small onion, diced
7 tbsp butter
7 tbsp milk
½ c chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon cornflour (mixed with 3 tablespoons of water)
oil (for frying)
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel and cut the yams into cubes.
- Place in a deep pot with water covering the yams by a few inches.
- Season with about 2 tsp salt.
- Boil until soft (test by piercing with a fork)
- Drain the water.
- Pound or blend the yam together with the milk, egg, onion, butter, garlic powder, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the corn flour and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Roll the mashed yam into balls and dip into the mixture.
- Fry in oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side.