Lamb Peanut Soup
There are many different versions of West African peanut soup but the basic ingredients(below) do not really change. We decided to swap commonly used sweet potatoes with yam based on preference.
- Ground peanut
- Meat(for non vegetarian)
- Yams to thicken soup
- 1 cup oil or more
- 2 pounds lean lamb stew meat, trimmed
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoons white pepper
- 2 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped divided
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 tablespoons parsley
- ½ cup ground peanuts
- 3-4 cups lamb broth
- 1 cup of cubed yams
- 1 cup spinach or kale(optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet or habanera pepper or ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Maggi cubes (optional)
- In a large saucepan, season lamb with salt, maggi bouillon & onions and boil until tender, remove the lamb and save broth
- Heat oil in a pan over low-medium heat, Add the lamb and sauté till its browned.Blend tomatoes, and 1/2 onion, garlic, and parsley.
- Heat oil in another pan, add some onions and fry for like 3 minutes then add the blended sauce , add paprika, white pepper and bouillon , cover it and let it cook on low heat for about 10-15minutes.
- Add the yams, ground peanut, scotch bonnet pepper and about 3-4 cups of broth, continue cooking till yams is tender.Add the browned lamb, Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or desired thickness.
- Serve with rice